Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sirach 34:12: “I have seen much in my travels, and learned more than I could ever say.”

I wish I had the words to describe this trip. Every time I go to describe my time here, I end up struggling between words like “incredible,” “wonderful,” “amazing,” none of which can even compare to the extraordinary memories I have made and the excitement I have for my adventures to come. Even “adventure” sounds like an understatement. Sure exploring Vienna, or hiking on the mountains are adventures, but there isn’t really a word that can explain the terrifying excitement that comes when I am trying to speak German with Austrians (who have a fun accent/dialect.) even if I can’t always understand how German fits in their language. Speaking a foreign language is surely an adventure, but it is also more than that. There is something in spending time in Europe and immersing oneself in the culture that simply cannot be put to words. 

It is hard to believe that today is only my fourth day in Europe. It was just Wednesday when my plane was delayed out of the US causing me to change my connecting flight from London to Austria, while frantically trying to contact Kathi before I lost my phone service so I could tell her when to pick me up. A week hasn’t even gone by since I came out of customs and heard Kathi calling my name and hugging me for the first time in four long years. It is even harder to believe that I am on a train out of Austria into Germany after saying the hardest type of goodbye: the one where you don’t know when the next hello will be. (Don’t worry, Kathi, Wir können das schaffen.)  ;)

So instead of focusing on how hard it is to say goodbye to my Schwesterherz (Kathi that is), let me tell you about Austria. We started in Vienna and spent two days seeing everything we possibly could. As soon as we dropped my stuff off at Klara’s Apartment (where we stayed in Vienna), we got on the subway (U-Bahn) and met Kathi’s cousin Matthäus. Matthäus is studying history and English in Vienna, so he was an excellent tour guide and was able to give us all kinds of wonderful information about the sights in Vienna. Some of these sights were Parliament, the president’s house, Sisi’s house, Volksgarten, St.  Stephansdom (where we went to mass!), Burgtheater, Judenplatz, Operhaus, Hofburg, Heldenplatz, and an apartment that Haydn lived in during his time in Vienna.
Oper

Parliment

St. Stephansdom


On our second day in Vienna, Kathi’s friend Klara was our tour guide. She is also attending a university in Vienna. It was fun to have her with us to get another insider view of what it is like to live and study in Vienna. Somethings we saw included Schönbrunn, Belvedere, the University in Vienna and Naschmarkt. Our time in Vienna was fast-paced, but eye opening. I learned a lot about Austria as I was taking in as much as possible and trying to grasp the idea that I was in such a beautiful city.
Belvedere

Schönbrunn


There is so much to say about my stay in Vienna, that I will just leave it there for now, but please ask questions and let me tell you more.

We left Vienna on Thursday evening and were greeted by Ingrid, Kathi’s mom, when we finally made it to the train station near her house. I got to meet her Oma and toast with the Sitter ladies before we called it a night and fell asleep. The next day in Leonstein , I woke up to a wonderful European breakfast. I am telling you now America, you need to learn how to make bread or I may just have to stay here.


After breakfast, Kathi, Ingrid and I went to Gmunden where we took a cable car up a mountain and went for an hour long hike to Laudachsee. I am always blown away by mountains. Their size reminds me of how small I actually am, but how I have a place in this great big world. I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking.









Kathi and I ended the day by hanging out with a group of her friends. We went to a soccer game. Then we went back to her Grandma’s farm where we hung out with her cousins, and uncle. We listened to some Austrian Music and spent time getting to know each other. They even were kind enough to speak Hochdeutsch (standard German) with me, so I could speak some German with them and understand what they were saying. Sometime after midnight, Uncle Josef decided he was going to grill, so I got to eat Schnitzel for lunch and Austrian Sausage for a midnight snack.  



My time in Austria was short but filled to the brim with love and unforgettable experiences. The scenery and the people are absolutely wonderful. I know I will be back, so it is only bye-bye for now.


Pfiat eich. <3

1 comment:

  1. The only thing that would have made this an improved blog was to have you singing the soundtrack from The Sound of Music while standing on that mountain with the blue sky. Oh...and a video of you twirling. (I am enjoying the experience of exploring Europe with you, Alli.)

    ReplyDelete