Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mark 16:20 "But they went forth and preached everywhere..."

Today, all around the world, Catholics celebrate a mass celebrating the ascension of Jesus into heaven. Can we really imagine that? Catholics all over the world. Not just in our home parishes, or our friends nearby. But the entire world is celebrating Jesus Christ ascending into heaven.

When we stop to think about it, our faith is so much bigger than ourselves. Our church extends far beyond our comprehension. When you google the definition of Catholic, the synonyms include:  diverse, wide, and broad. When we think about our own faith, do we consider these words? Do we pause to think about how wonderful it is to be united in the Eucharist with the angels, the saints and people all over the world?

This morning, I attended a mass that was celebrated in German. It was celebrated high above the City of Deidesheim, Germany. We were surrounded by vineyards and an astounding view as the Priest consecrated the Eucharist. Attending mass in a language other than my own is an eye opening experience. It has helped me better understand how universal the Catholic Church truly is. It shows me the many brothers and sisters I have in Christ, and reminds me that no matter how far away from home I go, I am united with my loved ones in the Eucharist. It also is interesting because I cannot understand every word said at the mass. I focus on what I do understand and build from there on how Christ is speaking to me.

Hearing today's readings reminded me of the commission Jesus Christ gave to me right be for He ascended into Heaven: “Go.” He doesn't want me to be drawn into myself and consumed by my solidarity. He doesn't want me to feel alone because I am a foreigner or because I speak a different language. He wants me to go out and speak to His nations, the ones He has brought me into, and share with them the message of Love he has given me.

The longer I am in Germany, the more I release the magnitude of the word “bold.” It is so hard to be bold when you can barely speak a language. When you are surrounded by people of a different culture, it is hard to acknowledge all of your differences when you already have so many characteristics that make you stand out (i.e. language, culture, etc.). The significance of being bold outweighs the fear that comes with it though. Being bold in small ways or big ways can open doors for God to work through you. Being bold by speaking German has helped me grow in humility and has helped me build relationships far far away from home. Being bold when having to ask to go mass gives others the opportunity to say yes to God’s invitation to the Banquet. Being bold by writing a “travel blog” that centers on the experiences Christ has given me in my adventures allows those following my journey to see how it is Christ’s journey they are seeking to know. Looking back, I can’t really identify each of my fears for stepping outside my comfort zone. This tells me that there is nothing to fear. Sometimes, you just have to take a leap of faith, and know that God will use your humility for His glorification, as long as you let Him. 

Jesus' ministry is no secret. It is an incredible gift that needs to be continued. As he ascended from Earth he has invited us into His ministry. He has asked us to go forth and preach the gospel. He has asked us to continue His work here. He has asked us to be bold and assures us that He will fulfill our needs. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment