“The Holy Spirit jumps over boundaries.”
[From today's Homily.]
[From today's Homily.]
Living life in another language is bizarre. Sometimes I
understand exactly what is going on, sometimes I zone out and forget that I
actually can understand what they are
saying, and sometimes, I am just completely lost. What an incredible experience it
is to live and learn this way. Every so often, I feel as though I am living a
normal life. I feel as though it is normal for me to be having conversations in
German while enjoying food in the beautiful German scenery. I lose myself in
what is going on and forget how abnormal it is. Occasionally I find myself during
these times and stop to think how strange it is that the words we are
communicating with can’t be understood by some of my closest friend in America. To think,
I haven’t even been speaking this language for half of my life yet. Living life
in German has been an absolutely incredible adventure that has helped me
recognize how important and how universal communication truly is.
My German is nowhere near perfect, but here I am living in
Germany, communicating in German, and my imperfections are perfectly fine. It
is okay that I don’t know all of the grammar or all of the noun genders. It is
okay that I can’t always understand every word or every instruction said to me.
It is okay that when I speak it is slow and sometimes broken and often times my
words are out of order. It is okay because people want to understand each
other, and they want to help me learn. Our communication may not exactly
be perfect, but our hearts are open and willing to try to understand.
I have seen so much in this past week. Looking back through
all of my photos, it is hard to believe that I have been in Düsseldorf for a
whole week already, and that I have been in Europe for 18 days. The
amount I have seen and learned in this time is unfathomable.
At the beginning of the week, my host mom, Annette, and
sister, Nora, met me at the train station in Düsseldorf and brought me home
with them. Their house is absolute gorgeous and the garden looks like it came
straight out of a fairytale. A wonderful part of this house is the beautiful
white Kawaii Piano that I get to play for the next six weeks. I also got to me
our cat, Lilly, who is spunky and sassy like any typical cat, and makes me
miss my kitty back at home.
My first afternoon in Düsseldorf, I met with Prof. Zinggeler
(my German Professor) and my EMU classmates downtown. We went for a ferry ride
along the Rhein River. It was fun to relax and see the town that I will call
home for the next six weeks.
I had an opportunity to see the city from 240 meters high in the Düsseldorf Rheinturm. It was an incredible sight to
see all of the buildings and the Rhein River. It gave me insight on how
different my life is going to be living in an incredible city that is much
larger than my little home town.
We also spent some time exploring the old city. Among many incredible things, I got to see where Robert and Clara Schumann lived during their time in Dusseldorf.We also saw several very beautiful churches.
On our third morning, we rested. On Thursday, we went to the Neanderthal
museum. I always forget how fascinating museums are until I am in one. It was
really cool to learn about human history and see how it has developed
throughout time.
Friday, we spent some time at the German Stock Market. We
heard a lecture about the stock market’s history and how it works now.
Saturday, we traveled to Aachen. If you are ever in the area
and can visit the Aachen Dom, I highly recommend it. The Aachen Dom is a magnificent
cathedral where many German kings were crowned. Aachen also housed Karl der
Grosse. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures inside the Dom. If you are curious, you can google some pictures of this magnificent building.
| Ruins of Roman buildings |
| The EMU Crew takes on Aachen. |
| Aachen Dom |
| St. JP II was here! |
Sunday, today, I went to mass at St. Margareta Basilica. It
is about a 10 minute walk from my house. Pentecost is a big celebration in
Germany, and all of the shops are closed tomorrow to celebrate “Pfingstmontag”
(Pentecost Monday). Mass in the Basilica was outstanding. The music left me
speechless and I had to consciously keep my jaw from dropping because of how in
awe I was at the beauty of it.
The basilica is a beautiful building. Outside, there is a square with a nice sculpture depicting the history of Gerresheim (the part of Düsseldorf I live in). Nearby, there is a “library.” This library is very much to my liking. It is simply a bookshelf that people can take or leave books as they please. I took a book called “Die Trapp Familie” which is about the life of Maria von Trapp. (For those of you who may not recognize the name, she is from Sound of Music.) It has been fun to read this beloved story in German while enjoying the sunshine in my fairy-tale garden.
The basilica is a beautiful building. Outside, there is a square with a nice sculpture depicting the history of Gerresheim (the part of Düsseldorf I live in). Nearby, there is a “library.” This library is very much to my liking. It is simply a bookshelf that people can take or leave books as they please. I took a book called “Die Trapp Familie” which is about the life of Maria von Trapp. (For those of you who may not recognize the name, she is from Sound of Music.) It has been fun to read this beloved story in German while enjoying the sunshine in my fairy-tale garden.
We ended the day by grilling in the garden and enjoying each other's company. It is nice to have a relaxing and comfortable environment to speak German freely in and hear wonderful German conversation. I even was able to follow a German recipe with the help of my host family!
Oh right! I started school last Tuesday! It is easy to
forget since my time is so enjoyable and feels like a vacation. My German class
lasts four hours every afternoon. We focus a lot on grammar and all sorts of
fun German things. It is very interactive, and there are only 9 people, so I
have many opportunities to speak German (not to mention at the train station,
with my host family, on the street, in restaurants, etc.) My classmates are a
lot of fun and very diverse. Their cultures include Brazilian, Korean, Chinese,
Russian, Netherlander, and Turkish. It is so fascinating learning about the
German culture within such a diverse community.
I feel as though I have so many things to say, and I am
excited to share more stories with you when I come home.
























No comments:
Post a Comment