Monday, May 4, 2015

Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore..."


Travel is a funny thing. All of the planning, the packing, the purchasing that are required to get out into the world can take longer than the trip itself. Tomorrow, I get to put all of this to the test. Tomorrow, I will head to the airport and take off for Vienna, Austria where my summer adventure begins. Tomorrow, I am done writing and rewriting packing lists. Tomorrow, I get to fly away and begin the trip I've been waiting for.

Lake Michigan waving goodbye
Tomorrow, I say goodbye to my home here in Michigan and say hello to the European Continent which will be my home for the next 10 weeks. The beauty of the mitten state is incomparable, and I am so thankful for such a beautiful place to call home. As I set out for Europe, I will miss the comfort of being here, but I am excited for the challenges that are ahead of me and excited beyond belief to be reunited with my friends overseas.

Words cannot express the excitement I have to live and learn in another culture and another language. The German culture has always been inviting me more fully into it, and here is my opportunity to step in and fully immerse myself. No excuses, just opportunities to grow.

In Matthew 28, Jesus sends His disciples into the world to "make disciples of all nations." We are His disciples, and our evangelization does not stop at the border of a nation. He is calling us to something bigger than ourselves. He is asking us to step outside of our comfort zone and spread His gospel to everyone we encounter. Hearing this scares me. How am I supposed to evangelize to people of another culture in a language that I have only known for a third of my lifetime? Who am I to take on this role?

But at the end Matthew 28 Jesus goes on to say "behold, I am with you always." There is nothing to fear because the King of kings is traveling with me. He is looking out for me and guiding my steps. His word is in my heart, and His love is an international language. No matter who I will encounter, if I encounter them with an open mind and with love, they can experience Christ.

Moral of the story: my fears of traveling alone are unnecessary. Not only is Jesus with me always, but I have the most incredible support system that is making this trip possible. I know that their thoughts and prayers are with me every step of the way. Not only my loved ones here in the states, but my incredible family and friends in Europe who I know will take good care of me while I'm abroad. All of you reading this have supported me in this because you show me that you care about my life and want me to have the best experience possible this summer.

So thank you, for shaping me into who I am, and for watching me grow throughout my lifetime.

Here's to Summer 2015, and many more adventures to come.


Kathi and I in 2011
Pray Pray Pray:

Please continue to pray for me as I travel!

I will be flying out tomorrow, May 5, and land in Vienna on Wednesday Morning.
Kathi Sitter is picking me up in Vienna, pray for us as we travel Austria together.
I am also traveling by train to Germany on May 9.

See you July 14th, Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment