Friday, August 14, 2015

New Eyes

July 21, 2015

Welcome Home.

Coming home was a long process. I went through a great length of security in the Barcelona airport to get on my flight to Philadelphia. When I landed in Philadelphia, Obama was also there. All flights were delayed while we waited for his entourage to drive by on the runway. Then, my flight was delayed due to weather, and to top it of, my pilots reached their daily time limit and couldn't work any longer. Needless to say, I was stuck in Philadelphia for the night while my family was waiting for me to arrive at the airport in Grand Rapids. Thankfully, I was able to get a hotel for the night and a flight out early the next morning to Detroit. The wonderful Andrew Kanitz picked me up in Detroit and we had a wonderful reunion. I even got to meet his new nephew, Nikolai, and visit with his sister, Catherine. Andrew drove me back to Fremont, and now here I am.

Traveling does a funny thing when I arrive back home: it keeps going. While I was doing my pilgrimage, we talked about the life of a pilgrim and how we always need to live like pilgrims, constantly seeking after God. Traveling does the same thing. My eyes have been trained all summer to look at my surroundings and see all of the details. I have been trained to acknowledge how beautiful and unique different places, buildings, and people are. My eyes see colors with enhanced vibrancy and pick up on details that they never noticed before. Fremont has always been my home, but sometimes it takes going away to recognize how breath taking of a town it is. Everything is so green. The drive into town is surrounded by wildflowers that add extravagant colors to the grass. Alpine is filled with all kinds of restaurants and shops that are familiar and open any time I could possibly need them. My brother lives right on the way home, and the roads home are wide open and surrounded by so much land. Not to mention how much land is between all of the houses here. Lake Michigan is right down the road and I can stick my toes in fresh water beauty and watch the sunset into nothingness. All of these things are just little details that make me feel at home. I am constantly being astounded at things that once were so normal. The comfort and memories associated with the familiarity are actually extraordinary emotions that allow me to fully feel and help me appreciate who I am, as well as where and how I was raised.

Two of my friends joined me after I had been in Europe for eight weeks. I never fully realized how long eight weeks was until I lived that long in a foreign country, in my second language. When my friends arrived, I was excited beyond words to see them, but I also was exhausted and very excited to return home. Thankfully, I had great travel companions that pushed me through, and I constantly asked God to give me His renewing grace so I could persevere for the last two weeks and fully appreciate what He was doing in my life without being homesick.

Ask and you shall receive. Everyday, I asked God to renew me, to make me new. Everyday, I asked for the ability to fully experience everything that was happening without being held back by my exhaustion and homesickness. Of course He provided tenfold.

Everyday, I woke up so full of joy that I had no choice but to smile. God continuously gave me little reminders that I am loved and taken care of. I saw so many examples of Christ along my way, and got to watch my friends encounter Him in new ways. I got to witness growth in everyone around me as we prayed together and saw various sights that have drawn pilgrims for years. I learned about the lives of saints who have set examples in my life, or are beginning to since my journey began in France. The last two weeks flew by, but I was so unrushed, at peace, and in a state of joy that I was able to embrace each moment and learn along the way without focusing on coming home.

God gave me new eyes. He not only renewed my energy when I asked, but he also renewed my way of looking at things. I learned how to look at how things were being received instead of focusing on what I was trying to say. I became more attentive to detail of artwork, architecture, scenery, and language. I learned that, sometimes, the most important form of communication is non-verbal. I was shown the importance of living simply. Removing baggage and trusting God to care for me in all situations. I was reenforced in acknowledging the power and importance of prayer.

I can't show you the world through my eyes, but I know that we all are on some sort of pilgrimage of our own. We are trying to find purpose and we are seeking after the Kingdom of Heaven. My journey has helped open my eyes, but it doesn't take an extravagant trip to Europe to appreciate our lives how they are today. Sometimes, it just takes a step back. Removing oneself from the normal of everyday life. Looking at life from a new angle. Asking God to renew your soul.

All we really need is prayer, and God will do the rest. He is the one leading this pilgrimage of life after all.


P.S.
I have documented my travels in a journal, and would love to share them with anyone interested. I love coffee. So let me know, and we can make a date of it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment